Students from a non-European Union (EU) or non-European Economic Area (EEA) country require a residence permit in order to study in Sweden for longer than 3 months.

How should I apply?

The easiest and fastest way to apply for a residence permit is by using the online application at the Swedish Migration Agency's website. After completing the application, students are called for an interview at the Swedish embassy or consulate in their native country or other country where they live permanently. Students who are unable to apply online can apply at their nearest Swedish embassy or consulate. More information can be found at The Swedish Migration Agency's website.

What is important to know about my admissions application and status?

There are certain criteria students must meet in order to receive a resident permit for studies. One criterion directly related to studies is that a student must be admitted to a course or a programme at a Swedish university. If you are preliminarily offered a place, but have not finalised your place by paying the first tuition fee instalment, you are not considered admitted and cannot be granted a residence permit.

The place or places you have been offered on your Notification of Selection Results are considered preliminary until you have paid the first instalment of the tuition fee. Therefore, it is important that you pay the first instalment of your tuition fee as soon as possible. Your university will notify the Swedish Migration Agency when your offer of admission is finalised.

When should I apply for a residence permit?

In order to receive your residence permit in time for you to travel to Sweden before you begin your studies, you should submit your residence permit application as soon as possible after having received your Notification of Selection Results and paid the first instalment of your tuition fee.

Swiss students

Citizens of Switzerland need a residence permit to study in Sweden. For more information, please see the following link to the Swedish Migration Agency's website:

Swiss citizens

EU/EEA students

As an EU citizen you have the right to work, study or live in Sweden without a residence permit. If you can support yourself, you automatically have right of residence in Sweden and do not need to contact the Swedish Migration Agency. For more information, please follow the link to the Swedish Migration Agency's website:

EU/EEA citizens

Photo Credit: Sofia Sabel/Image Bank Sweden

Last updated: 08 April 2019