Welcome to the information page for applicants who have completed studies in South Africa, with information about meeting the English requirement, what previous studies meet the basic entry requirements, and any special documentation instructions. 

Start with Step 1 - Finding out what I need to submit

There are general instructions for all applicants; it is important that you start with Step 1 and then work your way through the remaining steps in order to submit the right documents in the right way.

Meeting the English requirement - bachelor's and master's level studies

You can meet the English requirement with your upper secondary studies if English is included in the upper secondary school leaving certificate.

If you’re documenting your English based on your upper secondary studies, you must provide upper secondary documents in order to demonstrate you meet the requirement. Please submit your upper secondary documents as indicated below under ’For bachelor’s level studies’.

Students with a Bachelor Honour’s degree/ Bachelor National First Degree (4 years) at NQF Level 8 from a recognised university in South Africa are considered to have a sufficient level of English.

You can also demonstrate that you meet the English language requirement through an internationally approved English test. Find out more at the following link:

English language requirements

Previous studies that meet the general entry requirements and any special documentation instructions

For bachelor's level studies:

National Senior Certificate

Senior Certificate

In order to document your upper secondary studies, please submit the official certificate issued by UMALUSI.

For master's level studies:

The requirement for entry into a master’s programme is a Bachelor Honours degree/Bachelor National First degree (4 years) at NQF Level 8.

To document your eligibility, please submit your diploma and transcripts (for all years, including National Diploma/Higher National Diploma if accounted for in the bachelor’s degree).

Specific document instructions

Official transcripts (signed and stamped) are required. Self-retrieved digital transcripts from a student portal or similar will not be accepted.

Last updated: 15 October 2019