Welcome to the information page for applicants who have completed studies in Rwanda, with information about meeting the English requirement, what previous studies meet the basic entry requirements, and any special documentation instructions. 

Start with Step 1 - Finding out what I need to submit

There are general instructions for all applicants; it is important that you start with Step 1 and then work your way through the remaining steps in order to submit the right documents in the right way.

Meeting the English requirement - bachelor's and master's level studies

Most students from Rwanda must demonstrate their proficiency in English by means of an internationally recognised test, e.g. TOEFL, IELTS or the equivalent. There are, however, a few exceptions to this: 

1. Students with a bachelor’s degree awarded by a university where English is the only language of instruction, meet the requirement. The university must be listed as only providing instruction in English in the edition of the International Handbook of Universities/World Higher Education Database (WHED) that was current the year the degree was awarded. (This is an exception for all applicants to studies in Sweden. You can find out more at English language requirements.)

2. If you have a bachelor's degree from one of the following universities not listed in the WHED, you can also meet the English requirement:

  • Kigali Institute of Education (degree from 2005 or later)  
  • Kigali Institute of Science and Technology (degree from 2005 or later)  
  • Kigali Health Institute (degree from 2007 and later)
  • National University of Rwanda (degree from 2009 or later)
  • Higher Institute of Agriculture and Animal Husbandry (degree from 2009 or later)
  • School of Finance and Banking (degree from 2009 or later)

Find out more about the English language requirements

Previous studies that meet the general entry requirements and any documentation requirements

For bachelor's level studies:

  • National/Rwanda Advanced Certificate of Secondary Education (General eller Professional A2), or
  • Diplôme de Fin d’Etudes Secondaires (Humanités Génerales, Techniques, Pédagogiques eller Professionelles A2), or
  • Certificat du Cycle Supérieur de l’Enseignement Secondaire, or
  • Diplôme d’Humanités Générales.

For master's level studies:

A Bachelor's degree meets the general criteria.

Please note that an Advanced Diploma does not meet the general entry requirement.

To document your eligibility, please submit your diploma and transcript.

  • If you upload your documents, you must scan your original documents in colour. Copies that are certified by the university are only accepted if the original documents are lost.
  • Submit both front and back sides of transcripts, especially if the transcripts contain important information regarding course names.
Last updated: 16 December 2019