Welcome to the information page for applicants who have completed studies in Japan, with information about meeting the English requirement, what previous studies meet the basic entry requirements, and any special documentation instructions. 

Start with Step 1 - Finding out what I need to submit

There are general instructions for all applicants; it is important that you start with Step 1 and then work your way through the remaining steps in order to submit the right documents in the right way.

Meeting the English requirement - bachelor's and master's level studies

Upper secondary studies completed in this country do not meet the English requirement for studies in Sweden. Even if you studied English at your upper secondary school, it is not enough to give you eligibility in regard to English.

You can demonstrate that you meet the English language requirement through certain university studies, or an internationally approved English test. Find out more at the following link:

English language requirements

Previous studies that meet the general entry requirements and any documentation requirements

For bachelor's level studies:

Upper Secondary School (Koto-gakko/高等学校) Certificate of Graduation (卒業証明書) and Transcript of Grades.

Translation requirements

If the documents are issued in Japanese, you must submit an official translation to either Swedish or English. Official means that your translation must be completed by a translation company or a person who works as a translator.

For master's level studies:

For entry to a master's programme, the minimum requirement is a 4-year Bachelor's degree (学士), 124 credits.

Supporting documentation requirements

  • All documents (diploma + transcript) must be uploaded in the original version. We do not accept uploaded copies.

  • Self-certified transcripts, including printouts or screenshots from self-service websites, are not acceptable.

Further information can be found at the following link:

Requirements for certification

Embossed stamps

If your documents contained embossed (raised) stamps (you can feel them on the paper, but they may not have any visible ink), you must check the scan you create of your document to ensure that the stamp can be seen. If you cannot read the stamp on the scanned document, you must submit copies of your academic documents to University Admissions via regular post. The embossed stamp is proof of the authenticity of your documents and must be visible for them to be accepted.

Translation requirements

Transcripts issued in English by the university are accepted; in this case, transcripts in the original language are not required.

Last updated: 08 April 2019