Welcome to the information page for applicants who have completed studies in Iraq, with information about meeting the English requirement, what previous studies meet the basic entry requirements, and any special documentation instructions. 

Start with Step 1 - Finding out what I need to submit

There are general instructions for all applicants; it is important that you start with Step 1 and then work your way through the remaining steps in order to submit the right documents in the right way.

Meeting the English requirement - bachelor's and master's level studies

Upper secondary studies completed in this country do not meet the English requirement for studies in Sweden. Even if you studied English at your upper secondary school, it is not enough to give you eligibility in regard to English.

You can demonstrate that you meet the English language requirement through certain university studies, or an internationally approved English test. Find out more at the following link:

English language requirements

Previous studies that meet the general entry requirements and any documentation requirements

For bachelor's level studies:

A Secondary School Certificate (وثيقة مدرسية / المرحلة الأعدادية (بكلوريا) meets the general criteria.

To document your eligibility, please submit your Secondary School Certificate correctly issued by the Ministry of Education.

  • Certificates issued by Ministry of Education, Republic of Iraq, are both in English and Arabic.
  • Certificates issued by Ministry of Education, Federal Iraqi Kurdistan Region, are issued in English only.
  • School documents issued in Arabic will not be accepted even though they have been translated.

For master's level studies:

A Bachelor's degree meets the general criteria.

To document your eligibility, please submit your diploma and transcript.

  • Academic documents issued in English by the university are accepted.
  • If your documentation is issued in another language, you need to submit documentation both in the original language and in an offical translation. Official means that your translation must be completed by a translation company or a person who works as a translator. Accepted translation languages are Swedish and English.
  • If you upload your documents, you must scan your original documents; certified copies are not accepted.
  • If you send your documents via regular post, you must send officially certified copies i.e. copies certified by the issuing university or a notary public.
  • Both the front and back sides of documents from Iraq must be scanned and submitted. 
Last updated: 29 July 2019