Welcome to the information page for applicants who have completed studies in Ghana, with information about meeting the English requirement, what previous studies meet the basic entry requirements, and any special documentation instructions. 

Start with Step 1 - Finding out what I need to submit

There are general instructions for all applicants; it is important that you start with Step 1 and then work your way through the remaining steps in order to submit the right documents in the right way.

Meeting the English requirement - bachelor's and master's level studies

You can meet the English requirement with your upper secondary studies with:

  • GCE O-level in English
  • English in your SSCE/WASSCE

If you’re documenting your English based on your upper secondary studies, you must provide upper secondary documents in order to demonstrate you meet the requirement. Please submit your upper secondary documents as indicated below under ’For bachelor’s level studies’.

Students with a completely documented Bachelor’s degree from a recognised university in Ghana are considered to have sufficient level of English.

You can also demonstrate that you meet the English language requirement through an internationally approved English test. Find out more at the following link:

English language requirements

Previous studies that meet the general entry requirements and any special documentation instructions

For bachelor's level studies:

One of the following certificates must be submitted with your application:

  • West African Senior School Certificate (WASSCE). Your WASSCE results must include six (6) subjects or more: three (3) core subjects (English, Maths and Science), and three (3) elective subjects.
  • Senior Secondary School Certificate (SSSCE). Your SSSCE results must include six (6) subjects or more: three (3) core subjects (English, Maths and Science), and three (3) elective subjects.
  • General Certificate of Education (GCE). Your GCE results must include five (5) subjects or more of which at least two (2) must be at the advanced level.

All upper secondary school results must be issued by the West African Examinations Council (WAEC).

You are required to submit the officially issued certificate. Print-outs from the online verification are never accepted. If you have not yet received your official certificate, you may in exceptional cases send Result slips/Statement of results/Notification of Results along with your scratch card details (see below).

If you have lost your certificate, you should ask WAEC to send a “Confirmation of Result” to:

Swedish Council for Higher Education
Box 45093
SE-104 30 Stockholm

Submit scratch card for verification

In addition to a copy of your certificate, you are also required to submit a scratch card. Alternatively, you can send your serial number and PIN on a piece of paper. You may also submit the scratch card using the contact form. 

Please note that any discrepancies between name and/or birth date on your documents must be explained with official documentation that confirms change of name/birth date or an affidavit.

For master's level studies:

A Bachelor's degree meets the general criteria.

To document your eligibility, please submit your Diploma and transcripts (for all years, including National Diploma/Higher National Diploma if accounted for in the bachelor’s degree)

Your transcripts must be in colour

You need to scan and upload your official transcripts in colour. If your university does not provide you with your official transcripts in colour you must ask them to send your official transcripts directly to University Admissions at the email address verifications@uhr.se.

Last updated: 11 December 2019