Welcome to the information page for applicants who have completed studies in Germany, with information about meeting the English requirement, what previous studies meet the basic entry requirements, and any special documentation instructions. 

Start with Step 1 - Finding out what I need to submit

There are general instructions for all applicants; it is important that you start with Step 1 and then work your way through the remaining steps in order to submit the right documents in the right way.

Meeting the English requirement - bachelor's and master's level studies

You can meet the English requirement with the following upper secondary studies:

Zeugnis der Allgemeinen Hochschulreife or Zeugnis der Fachgebundene Hochschulereife with either 4 English semesters (if primary foreign language), or Leistungskurs/Abiturprüfung in English.

In order to fulfill the English requirement with Zeugnis der Fachhochschulreife you must have studied an additional English course or a course in English at the advanced level (Niveaustufe B2).

If you’re documenting your English based on your upper secondary studies, you must provide upper secondary documents in order to demonstrate you meet the requirement. Please submit your upper secondary documents as indicated below under ’For bachelor’s level studies’.

You can also demonstrate that you meet the English language requirement through certain university studies, or an internationally approved English test. Find out more at the following link:

English language requirements

Previous studies that meet the general entry requirements and any special documentation instructions

For bachelor's level studies:

The following meet the general criteria:

  • Zeugnis der Allgemeinen Hochschulreife
  • Zeugnis der Fachgebundenen Hochschulreife
  • Zeugnis der Fachhochschulreife
  • Zeugnis der Reife / Reifezeugnis

To document your eligibility, please submit your Secondary School Certificate.

For master's level studies:

The minimum requirement is a Bachelor's degree of at least 3 years, a Diplom (Univ/FH) with Diplom-Urkunde, or Magister Artium. 

  • Students holding a degree in law or teaching will meet the minimum requirement with Erste Staatsexamen/Staatsprüfung.
  • Students holding a degree in medicine or pharmacy will meet the minimum requirement with the Zweite Staatsexamen/Staatsprüfung.

To document your eligibility, please submit your final transcript of record and Diploma (Urkunde).The Zeugnis cannot replace the Urkunde (except for Staatsprüfung). If your diploma supplement lists all your courses, it can replace the transcript of record.

  • If you hold an Erste or Zweite Staatsprüfung degree, it is important that you submit complete documentation of your study programme including a complete transcript. Please note that within some education areas (e.g. medicine) you must complete both Erste and Zweite Abschnitt in order to fulfill the requirements for master's studies in Sweden.
  • A computer-generated transcript of records with clearly stated verification code for online verification can be accepted. Documents without an online verification code or stamp and signature will not be accepted, even if it states “valid without signature”.
  • All pages with text/writing/stamps must be submitted, even back pages.
  • Please note that entries in academic record books (Scheine, Studienbuch or Lehrveranstaltungsnachweise) cannot be accepted as transcripts of records.

Translation requirements

Academic documents issued in English by the university can be accepted (no translation is required) if the title of the degree is clearly stated on the documents.

If you submit your diploma in German, no translation is required.

If you submit your transcript of completed courses and grades in German, you must also provide an official translation of your documents. Official means that your translation must be completed by a translation company or a person who works as a translator. Accepted languages for translations are Swedish or English.

Last updated: 20 February 2020