Welcome to the information page for applicants who have completed studies in Bangladesh, with information about meeting the English requirement, what previous studies meet the basic entry requirements, and any special documentation instructions. 

Start with Step 1 - Finding out what I need to submit

There are general instructions for all applicants; it is important that you start with Step 1 and then work your way through the remaining steps in order to submit the right documents in the right way.

Meeting the English requirement - bachelor's and master's level studies

Upper secondary studies

Upper secondary studies completed in this country do not meet the English requirement for studies in Sweden. Even if you studied English at your upper secondary school, it is not enough to give you eligibility in regard to English.

University studies

In order to document your English eligibility through university studies, you must have one of the following:

  • a degree equivalent to a Swedish kandidatexamen where English is the main subject
  • 60 ECTS credits (or the equivalent) from an EU/EEA country or Switzerland where the language of instruction of the course was English
  • 60 ECTS credits (or the equivalent) from USA, Australia, New Zealand, Jamaica, or English speaking parts of Canada where the language of instruction was English
  • a degree equivalent to a Swedish kandidatexamen from a university listed in World Directory of Medical Schools where the language of instruction was English

Please note that, starting with admission to autumn semester 2020, students with a degree from Bangladesh no longer meet the English requirement through university studies taught in English unless the university is listed in the World Directory of Medical Schools (see above). Neither a formal university transcript or degree certificate stating that the language of instruction for the programme was English, nor a degree from a university where English is the only language of instruction will be sufficient.

English test

You can demonstrate that you meet the English language requirement through an internationally approved English test. Find out more at the following link:

English language test

Previous studies that meet the general entry requirements and any special documentation instructions

For bachelor's level studies:

The following diplomas/certificates meet the criteria:

  • Higher Secondary Certificate Examination or Intermediate Certificate Examination with a diploma in Commerce, Engineering or Nursing
  • Vocational Higher Secondary Certificate Examination
  • Pre-University course
  • Madrasah Alim Certificate Examination

You can document your eligibility by submitting your Examination Certificate with Marks Sheet, Statement of Marks or Academic Transcripts issued by the Board of Intermediate and Secondary Education (BISE) or Bangladesh Technical Education Board (not the school).

Did you graduate after 2009?

If you graduated after 2009, a passing grade in Mathematics is required to meet the general entry requirements for bachelor’s level studies. If you don’t have a passing grade in Mathematics in your Higher Secondary Certificate or Proficiency Certificate, you must also submit your Secondary School Certificate (SSC).

For master's level studies:

For entry to a master's study programme, the minimum requirement is a 4-year Bachelor's degree, or a Bachelor's degree followed by a Master's degree (total of 4 years of studies). Some, but not all, study programmes require that first degree to be in a related field.

Consideration will also be given to applicants who have attained a 3-year Bachelor's degree with honours in certain social science or humanities majors.

Students holding a 3-year Bachelor's degree without honours will not satisfy the entry requirements for a Master's programme.

The following degrees do not satisfy the entry requirements for a master's programme:

  • A Bachelor of Ayurvedic Medicine and Surgery from India, Sri Lanka or Bangladesh
  • A Bachelor of Unani Medicine and Surgery from India, Sri Lanka or Bangladesh

University document requirements

  • The transcripts and Diploma must be issued by the University. Please note that college-issued mark sheets/result cards/transcripts will not be accepted.
  • Mark sheets/transcripts must be issued by the Registrar's Office or the Controller or Examinations Office at the university.
  • If the transcripts/mark sheets do not contain the names of the courses studied, a syllabus must be submitted. Transcripts/mark sheets where the courses are listed as “Paper1", “Paper2" are not sufficient.
  • Documents certified by the issuing institution must be issued through and certified by a representative of the Academic Registrar's Office, the Examinations Office, or equivalent of the institution. Certification from other staff members, such as faculty or college staff members, is not acceptable. Further information can be found at the following link: Requirements for certification

Specific document instructions

Submitting your upper secondary documents

All your upper secondary (if applying for bachelor's studies) documents, as listed above, can be submitted by uploading a scan of either the original documents, or an attested copy of your original documents.

Submitting your university documents

  • Your transcript of record must be sent directly from your university in a sealed envelope. We will not accept your transcript if you or any other individual, courier, agency or similar, sends your transcripts.
  • Do not send your cover sheet to the university/universities you have previously attended and requested transcripts from. If they send your transcripts to University Admissions in Sweden with your cover sheet, your documents will not be accepted.
  • Your transcript of record must be issued to University Admissions. It your transcript  has been issued to you or any another individual, your documents will not be accepted.
  • The documents must be attested (stamped and signed) by the issuing university. If your documents are attested by another university, college or notary, they will not be accepted.

Delivery Service (FedEx, DHL etc.)

If you submit your supporting documentation via a delivery service, such as FedEx or DHL, please use the address below. Do not use this address for regular post.

PostNord Strålfors
Västberga Allé 36D 5tr
SE-126 30 Hägersten


Last updated: 15 October 2019