Welcome to the information page for applicants who have completed studies in Austria, with information about meeting the English requirement, what previous studies meet the basic entry requirements, and any special documentation instructions. 

Start with Step 1 - Finding out what I need to submit

There are general instructions for all applicants; it is important that you start with Step 1 and then work your way through the remaining steps in order to submit the right documents in the right way.

Meeting the English requirement - bachelor's and master's level studies

You can meet the English requirement with the following upper secondary studies:

  • with English in a Reifeprüfung/Reifeprüfungszeugnis/Matura, or
  • with at least 12 hours English in Reife- und Diplomprüfungszeugnis / Diplomprüfungszeugnis 

If you’re documenting your English based on your upper secondary studies, you must provide upper secondary documents in order to demonstrate you meet the requirement. Please submit your upper secondary documents as indicated below under ’For bachelor’s level studies’.

You can also demonstrate that you meet the English language requirement through certain university studies, or an internationally approved English test. Find out more at the following link:

English language requirements

Previous studies that meet the general entry requirements and any special documentation instructions

For bachelor's level studies:

The following meet the general criteria:

  • Reifeprüfung/Reifeprüfungszeugnis/Matura
  • Reife- und Diplomprüfungszeugnis/ Diplomprüfungszeugnis

To document your eligibility, please submit your Secondary school certificate (Reifeprüfung / Reifeprüfungszeugnis / Reif- und Diplomprüfungszeugnis/ Diplomprüfungszeugnis) and final transcript of grades (Jahrezeugnis).

For master's studies:

A Bachelor's degree (Bakkalaureus/Bakkalaurea) or a Bakkalaureus/Bakkalaurea (FH) of at least 3 years meets the general criteria.

To document your eligibility, please submit your final transcript of records and diploma. If your diploma supplement lists all your courses, it can replace the transcript of record. Final certificate (Abschlusszeugnis) can as well replace the transcript of records if all programme modules are adequately presented. 

  • All pages with text/writing/stamps must be submitted, even back pages.
  • A computer-generated transcript of records with clearly stated verification code for online verification can be accepted. Documents without an online verification code or stamp and signature will not be accepted, even if it states “valid without signature”.
  • Please note that entries in academic record books cannot be accepted as transcripts of records.

Translation requirements

Academic documents issued in English by the university can be accepted (no translation is required) if the title of the degree is clearly stated on the documents.

If you submit your diploma in German, no translation is required.

If you submit your transcript of completed courses and grades in German, you must also provide an official translation of your documents. Official means that your translation must be completed by a translation company or a person who works as a translator. Accepted languages for translations are Swedish or English.

Last updated: 11 March 2020